The Master of Science in Network Engineering program will equip you with the specific skills needed to adapt to new technology and ensure your organization is always at the forefront of the industry.
Who Should Apply?
If you’re passionate about pushing network engineering into the future, our M.S. in Network Engineering is the program for you. We’re looking for students who are looking to grow as professionals and believe innovation is constant and adaptability is key in an industry that’s constantly changing. Our students come from a variety of backgrounds—from those in IT and telecommunications to professionals in data science and even finance—but we do have a few requirements:
- A B.S. in one of the sciences, mathematics or computer science or in one of the engineering disciplines
- A bachelor’s degree in liberal arts or business with additional background in differential and integral calculus and physics
- Computer programming experience preferred
Our program will give you a fundamental understanding of the core concepts of network engineering. And you’ll develop practical experience with the latest tools and strategies, so you’ll be ready to make an immediate impact in any organization.
Make an Impact with Your SMU Degree
With 82% employment at graduation, Lyle alumni have gone on to make an immediate impact at leading companies such as Facebook and Google.
A Program Tailored to Your Goals
You can tailor your degree to your interests and career goals through independent study courses, industry projects, and a wide range of electives in other departments.
Stay Prepared for the Future
Virtualization is a core focus of the curriculum, ensuring you’re prepared for the latest technology and industry strategies.
Prepare for a Successful Career in Network Engineering
Network engineering is a constantly changing field. This year’s cutting-edge technology might be totally obsolete next year. Despite this consistent change, however, the core principles of network engineering continue to hold strong — meaning professionals who thoroughly understand these principles will be able to adapt to and even lead change in the industry.
SMU’s Online M.S. in Network Engineering focuses on giving you an expert understanding of the principles of network engineering while also giving you access to hands-on experiences with the latest tools and software. You’ll simultaneously gain proficiency with the cutting-edge tools used by modern companies while developing the foundational knowledge that fuels the industry.
Upon Graduation You Will:
- Understand the foundations of DSL technologies, digital microwave, satellites, fiber optics and SONET, and Integrated Services Digital Networks
- Be prepared to use open-source software products
- Understand networking technologies and internet protocol
- Be able to work with current third-generation systems, wireless data, and emerging wireless systems and technologies
- Know how to create a complete network design framework and properly use it
- Understand the underlying principles of telecommunications: operation, administration, maintenance, and provisioning
- Be able to use simulation software in laboratory experiments to analyze the performance and operation of optical networks